Friday, May 06, 2005

OK, well I tried to log in on myspace, but this computer has a dial up connection, so no luck. I do not have a replacement WiFi card for the missing one in my Apple yet, so I can't use the coffee shop method either.
Anyway, here's the results of this NYC trip thus far. Yesterday after driving back from Austin by myself at 2 AM I got into Allen and Andea's car at 7 AM to head to the airport. We got there o problem and easily checked in, even with oversized bags (Farfisa Organ, merchandise). Had some coffee in the airport and ran into a friend of my dad's from V&E whose name I should know, but there was no way I was going to pull that off at 8 in the morning. The plane trip was bumpy but uneventful. We flew Continental and made friends with the pilot after we landed in Newark. He was cool and a big pipe organ fanatic. He may make it out to Maxwell's on Saturday to see the band; he likes that place.
Todd from Maxell's picked us up at the airport and drove us into Hoboken where we dropped off what little gear we had carried. Maxwell's is a very cool club. Just how I like it with tin ceilings, tile floors and a great feel. It's sort of like a mixture between the Continental Club in Houston and the Braodway 50/50 in San Antonio. The room in the back with the bands is seperate and somewhat small but laid out very well and surely will be good for a wild show.
One we got settled in Hoboken Allen and I decided to walk to the PATH commuter rail to get into New York City. It took us more than an hour to get there, as the weather was greaat and we stopped to eat some pizza at a little Italian pizza joint then followed that up with a Yuengling beer at this Irish pub, which might have been a closet gay bar. We had directions to get into the city and to where we could meet up with my friend Drew, who lives in Brooklyn and with whom we are staying.
No real issues taking the train and subway, although I did manage to screw us up a little bit. We got into Manhattan and walked around, finally meeting Drew in front of a drugstore and planning to head to a party that my friend Ashley Woodson had invited us to. This would be a Cinco De Mayo party, something that I was surprised would be going on here, and was even more surprised when my other friend Nicki Ittner invited us to ANOTHER one.
We went, and on te way finally tracked down some RC COLA at a small grocery store. It was a madhouse, as we immediately accosted everyone around us and bought two 2 liters each for general use. Drew affixed a homemade "guerrrila warfare" RC sticker with the seventies logo to the display, whcih read "RCA Cola, $1.19". It was hilarious.
We wnet to Ashley's friend's party atop the roof of a nice upscale Manhattan high rise and began drinking the RC's. Ashley brought her friend and co-worker Jane,who was nice and we just shot the shit for a while.
I'll finish this popst later- we've got to go.

No comments: